Thursday, February 12, 2009

Curaçao

I could live in Curaçao one day. I really liked it. After sleeping in a little late, I walked to the front deck and looked out over a brightly-painted plethora of storefronts and government buildings in Willemstad. Shortly after arriving at the Queen Emma Bridge (a floating bridge that moves back and forth throughout the day to allow boats to pass), a downpour soaked everyone and everything in a matter of seconds. The storm soon ended and I crossed over from Otrobanda to Punda, two neighborhoods within Willemstad. I stopped at the outdoor Central Market to browse and found myself buying some “Arabian Formula” health supplement. The box promised to turn me into a muscular Arabian gentleman who has ladies hanging off him. I’ve never been a muscular Arabian gentleman who has ladies hanging off him, so I’m super excited to witness my transformation.

Otrobanda



Queen Emma Bridge Leads to Punda



Punda After the Storm


Speaking of supplements, several people tried to sell me marijuana and cocaine. What’s that all about? It wasn’t even covert. A simple, “Hey, you wanna buy some coke or some weed?” Maybe they saw me buy some Arabian Formula and thought I might be looking for the harder stuff. What’s in my Arabian Formula anyway? Ginger, ginseng, onion, garlic, honey, molasses, ethyl alcohol and distilled water…ewww, I don’t want to drink that. I guess I’ll stay a slightly pudgy White guy with ladies hanging around him.

Next, I headed to the Mikvé Israel-Emanual Synagogue (also known as The Snoa), the oldest synagogue in continuous use in the Western Hemisphere. The synagogue was beautiful, and it was the first time I’d ever worn a yarmakule (men were required to cover their heads before entering). The Snoa also had a museum on Jewish history in the Netherlands Antilles that was rather interesting and housed relics from the 14th century onward.

Mikvé Israel-Emanual Synagogue



My journey took me past the Floating Market and across the Wilhelmina Bridge to Scharloo, where I witnessed streets of once-decadent mansions now fallen into disrepair. Near the Waaigat on Van der Brandhofstraat was the island’s Maritime Museum, chronicling the island’s history of colonization and war (mainly between the Dutch, French, and British), slave trade in the West Indies, privateering, and piracy. Overall, the museum was well-designed and briskly air-conditioned. I can’t believe that less than a week ago, I was complaining that my apartment was too cold and now I’m relieved to find a building with air conditioning. It’s very strange.
Maritime Museum


Streets of Willemstad

On my walk back to the ship, I passed a bright red building which housed the Gouverneur de Rouville Restaurant & Café. Inside was an architecturally beautiful setting and the best sandwich I’ve ever had. No really, it was. Tender, tender chicken, deliciously spicy and sweet peanut sauce, crisp grilled onions and red bell pepper, and red leaf lettuce gently nestled between two halves of a crusty-yet-soft roll. Mmmm.
Gouverneur de Rouville

The Best Sandwich Ever
Why can’t we stay in Curaçao just one day longer? According to the tour guidebook, Curaçao has an aquarium, herbal medicine garden, snorkeling, diving, beautiful beaches, kayaking, hiking, and so much more. As I write this entry, I can feel the ship’s engine’s start to rumble as the Celebrity Galaxy causes the Queen Emma bridge to be moved once more, this time for us. I decide to go out on deck to say a proper goodbye to the island, only to find rows of cars honking and groups of people waving farewell as the sea mist splashes up from all sides. Goodbye, Curaçao…I hope to be back soon.

Food of the Day: Asian Chicken Sandwich (from Gouverneur de Rouville Restaurant & Café)

1 comment:

Jessi said...

Sounds lovely! I am little disappointed I am not going to get to witness your transformation! Now, that would be a blog entry!